<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Random Tuesday - The Prodigal Data Returns... 


So yeah, I know what you're thinkin'...

No, seriously, I do. I'm not gonna follow that statement up with a comment, witty or otherwise, I just wanted to inform you kids that I'm completely psychic and can read your (collective) mind. Additionally, even though I have this impressive power, I choose to ignore what you're thinking because...Well...It's more fun that way. Anyhow, in lieu of anything interesting and/or (God forbid) funny, I figured I'd hit you kids with another of them conglomeration, 'recap-style' blog posts which nobody is so fond of. Ready? I know you is. As such, let's get on with it...

'Puter All Better Now...For The Most Part...
So big thanks goes to Mike, the Mac tech guy who helps out us folks at the agency. He was able to recover damn near all of my data and transfer it to a much larger (and newer) hard disk (which he cleverly named "Spawn of Cheese"). Sadly, transfers of this nature are not without problems (such as applications not able to find their vital files, fonts missing or not able to be located by Suitcase, etc.) but I was able to work that stuff out yesterday with some reinstalls and a phone call to Quark...Why is it that a company based just 60 miles north of where I'm sitting has East Indian folks answering the phones? "Stan Jones" my ass...Anyhow, it really is nice to have a capable Mac tech on call...Yay Mike! Also, yay for having my files back. I felt so lost without them...

Now THAT'S Odd Behavior...
So the other day, the wife and I were driving 'round town, specifically in the vicinity of south Nevada Ave. and I-25...Now, the way that one gets onto the interstate from there (which we were aimin' to do, by the by) is to take a left turn onto a kind of a nubbin of a street, go through another intersection (replete with traffic lights) and then up the ramp and on. As we were approaching the pre-nubbin intersection, we observed a black coupe (I think it may have been a Honda) cut it quite close making the aforementioned left turn a car or two in front of us. The wife made mention of the coupe's haste and then noticed that there was, in fact, a cop coming from the other direction. Before I could follow the coupe (making the turn in a significantly safer manner, just so's you know), this cop turned onto the nubbin in front of me. Seeing this, my wife implored the officer to "go get 'im," meaning, of course, to nail the driver of the coupe for his unsafe behavior. I interjected that the coupe had done nothing wrong and therefore couldn't really be "nailed." Anyhow, as I turned onto the nubbin, I see the cop, kind of in the turn lane and kind of not, to the left rear of the coupe which was waiting at the light in the "go straight" lane. As I approached the coupe, pulling in behind him in the straight lane, the cop appeared confused, making a move which inferred that he wished to cut in front of me, but yet maybe not. As I stopped, however, the cop got out of his cruiser and approached the coupe on foot. It was just then that the light changed and the coupe drove away. As I followed, passing the now on-foot police officer, I noted that the cop was shouting the word "HEY" at the coupe in a manner which suggested that he had something he wanted to say to the driver. I continued to observe the cop as best I could with my rearview while merging onto the interstate and saw that he returned to his cruiser and hesitantly pulled towards I-25, blocking on-ramp traffic while trying to decide whether whatever he had to tell the driver was worth a full blown, cherry top stop.

For what it's worth, the cop didn't follow the coupe or us or anyone onto the interstate. As I said before, quite possibly the strangest behavior I've ever seen exhibited by a police officer. I guess I was just lucky that I didn't hit him when he got out of his car as he was seemingly oblivious to anyone on the road but that damn little black coupe...

A Throw and Return Net Is Great...If You Can Hit It...
I'm sure you've heard the expression "can't hit the broadside of a barn." That expression, of course, refers to someone who is so damned inaccurate throwing anything that, even if set in front of the wide side of a large object and then instructed to hit said object, they would miss. Very much like the scene in Bull Durham where the Kevin Costner character tells Nuke Laloosh to hit him in the chest with the baseball and instead, Nuke hits a door several feet to the right. Well, long story short, that's how I throw. Completely wild, no consistency...Always have, probably always will...Now, this fact means that, as a first baseman, I'm pretty safe seeing as I may have to make only one or two throws every few games. This year, though, on our softball team, I've been moved to third base, a position that I not only haven't played since I was 12, but a position that I don't remember being any good at. As you may already have figured out, it's also a position which requires regular throwing of the ball in a reasonably accurate manner...Anyhow, the team made it through the Spring season alright (even though I didn't throw anyone out at first...Second, yes, first...no) and we're now into the summer season. To this point, I still don't have that whole "throw to first" thing worked out...Oh, don't get me wrong, I can get the ball toward first base in a rapid fashion, there's no problem with the strength of the throw...I just can't say where the throw is going to land which is, of course, the crux of the problem...Anyhow, to try and alleviate this looming deficiency in my game, about a week and a half ago, I purchased a throw and return net from WalMart and set it up in my backyard in the hopes that I can improve my throwing accuracy. To this point, I've made several dents in the frame of the thing and broken a couple boards in the fence that the net sits in front of, but...Well...I haven't hit the net all that much...Gosh, I feel sorry for the girl that plays first base for us...Sure hope she's comfortable chasing balls...

So that's about enough for now...As always, thanks for stopping by...You kids have a fine Tuesday now...

Labels: , , ,

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?