<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 13, 2006

Sports Monday-It's a Shame I Wasn't Paying More Attention... 


Indeed, I've been trying so hard to stick with this "theme" business that I almost feel bad for not having anything real cohesive to post for "Sports Monday" (stressing the "almost" part). Surely you'd think that I could bang out a post that had SOMETHING to do with the Winter Olympics or the NFL Pro Bowl or even the fact that my stupid Avalanche lost AGAIN to those dirty sons-a-bitches the Detroit Redwings...

Yeah, you'd think...

I'll admit, I watched some of the Olympics this weekend but not much. Frankly, I've been a little put off for more than just a little while by the whole "professional athletes featured in the Olympics" thing. Look, my take on this is that the presence of pros cheapens the whole Olympic experience and that their being there is driven solely by greed. Not the greed of the athletes, mind you...Other people's greed...I mean c'mon, I KNOW that the Olympics are big business but I seriously think that people would still watch the games even if their favorite pro players weren't featured. Seriously, it was way too obvious that this phenomenon had gone too far when baseball was removed from Olympic competition simply because an agreement couldn't be reached with Major League Baseball...What this comes down to is a "Chicken LIttle" mentality: too many people who are too closely tied to the Olympics believe that they'll suddenly lose their cash cow if they lose the professional athletes because they've convinced themselves that nobody will watch college kids because simply cheering for your country is overrated and it doesn't produce the same kind of marketing opportunities...

And that's a huge pile of bullshit...We're not sheep...Anyhow...

Speaking of the sky falling (we were), I've got a bit of a "situation" on my hands...I let all of you fine folks know a couple weeks ago that I'm a (very new) wrestling official now...One of the middle school seasons which I am going to be helping out with recently started and, as part of my learnin', I joined one of the "veteran" officials at a scrimmage last Thursday...One of the bits of wisdom that this official shared with me was that most of the middle school coaches will be patient and sportsmanlike if I end up making an error. The one exception to this would be the coaches from "school X." After telling me this, he asked me where I was officiating this coming week...I told him "school A" and "school X." Good way to start...Of course, I was told that I'd have someone with me for at least my first two meets, so it shouldn't be too bad....

But then again...

I got word over the weekend that the officials in the area are spread pretty thin and that I might just have to "fly solo" on the two meets this week, including the meet at school X. Now, where before I was "pretty confident," I'm once again in scramble mode, cramming as much information into my tiny little brain as I can for fear of screwing up...All in all, I should be ok...So much for "starting small," though...

Well, that looks like just about enough words for one day...You all have a fine Monday (what's left of it) and we'll see you again real soon...

Labels: , , ,

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?