<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 23, 2005

Phrickin' Photoblog Phriday-Word To Your Mother... 


And welcome, once again, to that day of days: the one which all the kids call "Friday." Of course, this "Friday" happens to be the one where we find ourselves on the eve of Christmas eve, only 2 days away from celebrating the birth of Christ (or the coming of Santa Claus or whatever it is that you do, I can't be troubled with figuring out what all of you out there believe). Anyhow, today (as you would suspect) I have more photos for your viewing pleasure...Why? BECAUSE! It's Phrickin' Photoblog Phriday, man! Today's theme? WORD TO YOUR (MY) MOTHER...So here we go...when you click on 'em, they'll inflate so that your poor, fatigued eyeballs can more clearly make out the details

dig those glasses!
What better way to start off today's mom-themed photoblog than with a shot of her cooking dinner in the shanty where her and dad lived when they first came to town way back in 1969? Dig those glasses! You know, the back of the picture says "cooking dinner," but, now that I give it a better look, it doesn't appear as if there's as much "cooking" going on as "glaring." But what do I know, right?..

so happy together...
Here's my mom posing for a picture alongside her mother-in-law (outside of that same shanty I mentioned) in 1970. Aww, the whole scene makes you want to hum the Turtles' hit "So Happy Together," doesn't it? Yeah, you better believe it, they're the BEST of friends...

*koff* so what're you gonna name it? *koff*
So, when my mom and dad first came over to Colorado Springs from Grand Junction, mom worked (for a little while) at a place called Fox Photo. That's where this picture was taken during the baby shower which mom's co-workers apparently put on for her to celebrate the birth of that first kid of hers...The other (oh-so-lovely) ladies flanking mom in this shot are called "Marlys" and "Jean." Look, there's presents and even a cake! What nice people those Fox Photo (or was it "Foto?") ladies must've been...

her wedding day, not mine
Jumping backward in time, here's my mom on her wedding day in March of 1969. On the left there is her mom (my grandma Widegren) and...Could that be?..Yes, it's her mother-in-law again (my grandma Knight) in the middle there...Grandma Knight's lookin' pretty sharp in her "Jackie O" ensemble, but Grandma Widegren appears (inexplicably) to be wearing a yamulka of some sort...Strange...Again: dig the glasses!

my wedding day, not hers
From my mom's wedding day to my own, this is a shot of said maternal parent in 2000 when I got married...Looking at the two wedding day photos together, MY corsages were relatively "weak-ass" compared to the ones worn on mom's wedding day...I guess it's true: you can't go "cheap" on some things...That's what you get for buying from a funeral home's "going-out-of-business" sale...

takin' her turn on the runway
Jumping ahead to Christmas of 1979, here's a shot of mom (with significantly larger spectacles than before) showing off one of her Christmas presents consisting of "gloves" and "a coat." The odd camera angle in this particular picture can easily be attributed to the fact that I was only maybe 3 feet tall when I took the shot with one of those polaroid instamatic cameras...I wonder what happened to those glasses...And the camera, for that matter...

And you are?..
Finally, we end today's maternal photographic tour with a picture from December of '78 wherein myself and my mom are busy being "art snobs," creating legendary masterworks with the help of my brand new Crayola art command station (or whatever the thing was called). Seriously, have you ever seen a 4-year old and his mother more aloof in your life? WE CAN'T BE BOTHERED WITH THE LITTLE PEOPLE!..Ha...Nice scarf, mom...

And so, that's that...I hope everyone has a good holiday weekend, stay safe, have fun and eat like there's no tomorrow...We'll see you all...um..."later." Like maybe Tuesday...

Labels: , ,

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?