<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Just Like Riding A Bike... 


I mean, I HOPE that it's just like riding a bike (in the sense that you never really forget how to do it)...It's been 3 months since my last time and I don't mind saying that, until I was forced to stop, I was getting pretty good...Since then, the waiting and the watching and the whole "look but can't touch" thing was literally killing me, not to mention the combination of the lack of physical activity and all manner of holiday food was conspiring to make me even more of a giant fat person than usual...Don't get me wrong, I like to "watch" just as much as the next guy, but there comes a time when you realize that you'd much rather get off your ass and jump into the game...

Such a time finally came for me on Monday afternoon...

In truth, I had made the decision that I was going to throw caution to the wind and just DO IT on Tuesday of last week...There would be a session where I could participate and, conveniently, I was going to have the day free to do whatever I wanted. I told my wife of my intention and she said that she'd likely join me, but that I needed to be careful, I didn't need to get hurt again...Certainly, I would have second thoughts more than one time leading up to it, but I knew that it was time, I just had to prove it...I needed to do it, for no other reason than it was something that I enjoyed doing and, when you're forced to give something like that up, it can become the only thing you think about. Indeed, it can overtake your psyche...

Finally, Monday, "the big day" arrived. I was eager with anticipation and damn near "giddy" as I gathered up all off the paraphernalia which I had not had the joy of utilizing in 3 long months...Many thoughts tumbled around in my head: hoping that I remembered everything, hoping that said "everything" would still fit correctly, wondering if I'd even be able to "perform," so to speak...Also, there existed the question of who else would show up...Would anyone show? Would they be good? Would I be able to keep up? Would there be others there, wanting to do the same things as I? Would I even be allowed in? Soon enough, though, it was time to place such doubts on the back burner...The time had come to depart, so we did just that...

When we arrived at our destination, my wife decided, due to a sore back, that she'd just sit and watch the day's activites rather than participate in them. I told her that was fine and headed over to see if I were going to be allowed to participate myself...Luckily for me, not only was I one of the first to arrive on Monday, but I was greeted warmly and told that, just by showing up, I had "made everyone's day." After jotting down some information, I was directed to a room where I could set to the process of undressing and then donning the gear which I had brought along...Some of the items felt awkward, even bulky due to the addition of items which I now require to perform but, on the bright side, it all still fit and I didn't forget to bring any of it along...Soon, we would all find out if I were actually ready to "get back in the game," so to speak...

I have to say, there are literally a million stupid thoughts which go through your mind when you have the opportunity to pick up an activity which has lain dormant for a period of time, especially when you have "new concerns." Initially, on Monday, my every movement seemed labored where it used to seem effortless...Additionally, every situation seemed to be fodder for over-analyzation and for worry when before, not a second thought was given...After a short wait, and after having "warmed up some," I took up my old familiar position and faced the others who had come that day, my first opportunity to prove that I belonged was mere seconds away...

I didn't even have to wait long, that first chance came rather quickly...the opposing player skated into the zone down left wing, gave a quick Deke and uncorked a wrist shot from behind the defensive player...Momentarily, I was screened, but my eye quickly zeroed in on the puck through the maelstrom of sticks and bodies...With familiar disdain, and a pleasant "thud," I steered that first shot toward the corner with my blocker...

And it felt very, very right...

That's right, kids...For the first time in 3 months, I'm a hockey goalie again...And I can't begin to tell you how good that feels.

Labels: , , ,

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?