<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 20, 2004

How Many Miracles DOES it take?.. 


So, the movie Miracle is out on DVD...If you haven't seen it, you should. It's a wonderful retelling of truly the greatest sports moment EVER...But this entry isn't a movie review, it's about me playing a little trick on Collin and, by default, Collin's brother Trevor. I can't help doing these kinds of things, it's just...Well, anyway, here's how things went down...

So there's this little second-hand "buy sell trade" type video store near where we work that has all kinds of DVDs and videos real cheap, even some new releases...Collin visits this establishment damn near every other day to see what they have in stock and to buy, or trade for, DVDs...He often allows me to borrow his DVDs, so his propensity to purchase at this store is a good thing...Yesterday, Collin came back from the video store with, among other things, a WIDESCREEN copy of Miracle...Now, Collin is like, MR. WIDESCREEN...he once chastised me for my lack of knowledge as to why EVERY DVD I own Should be the widescreen format...Suffice to say, Collin buys Widescreen and widescreen only...He's also convinced me to do the same...

So anyway, he said that there were more copies at the store, so I went on down...I picked up a copy of Disorganized Crime (I was pretty sure I didn't have it on DVD) and the only copy of Miracle left. Unfortunately, it was fullscreen, but shit...For 8 bucks? I'll deal with whatever earth-shattering consequences there could be...I paid for my purchases and headed back to work. Later in the day, Collin was showing one of our co-workers HIS video store purchases, particularly his copy of Miracle. I, sensing an opportunity for evil, quickly grabbed my copy and headed over to his area. Collin looked at me suspiciously, but soon turned his attention back to his computer...I quickly made the switch, my fullscreen for his widescreen and headed back to my desk, holy grail of DVDdom in my evil little hand...I envision the whole switchy process happening something like this:

of course, I didn't get chased by a giant boulder, nor did I have to turn over the widescreen copy of Miracle to Belloq and the Hovitos...I was free and clear!

After the big switch, the rest of our work day went as normal. Collin hadn't noticed, in fact I counted on him not noticing the switch until he got home...After Collin left for the day, I admitted what I had done to Ray and Scott. Ray was adamant that it was an evil thing to do, Scott was indifferent. Ray exclaimed that Collin would certainly be completely frustrated and return it to the little video store. I assured Ray that the video store wasn't open early enough for him to return it and that I'd admit the joke in the morning and, at that time, give the widescreen copy back to Collin. Ray was still convinced that I had done something wrong.

Unconvinced of any wrongdoing, I left to play some tennis...

When I got in to work this morning, Collin said "Have I got a funny story for you!" He rattled off some nonsense about how he must have screwed up and bought the wrong copy 'cause when he got home, he realized he had the fullscreen version of Miracle. I just smiled...I produced the widescreen copy and he said "Yeah, I know! you bought it, 'cause I ended up with...full...screen...WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING AT ME!?" It was at this time that I filled him in on what I had done...He wasn't terribly amused, but, of course, I was. Collin also said that Trevor was dying to watch Miracle last night, but couldn't since Collin wouldn't open the package...

He figured he'd be returning it, you see...

So anyway, to sum up, We each now have the copies of Miracle that we paid for, he has his precious widescreen and I've got the "ultra-lame" fullscreen...Luckily, it's still the same movie and it was WAY cheap, so if I ever HAVE to have a widescreen copy, I think I can afford to get one. So anyway, if you haven't seen it, see Miracle. If, after you've seen it, you're not touched, moved or in any other way excited and proud to be an American, you're probably not an American...If that's the case, I'll certainly have to play some sort of prank on you...

Labels: , , ,

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?